"Thom the World poet is an old mate of mine from way back in my history. Even pre-dating Voiceprint, when I was running "Otter Songs" and Thom's poetry tapes and guest appearances with Daevid Allen, Gilli Smyth and Mother Gong are well known and highly regarded. It just felt right to include a daily poem from Thom on our Gonzo blog and when I approached him to do so, he replied within seconds!!! Thom is a great talent and just wants to spread poetry, light and positive energy across the globe. If we at Gonzo can help him do that - why not?
MY BEST BOOKS ARE BANNED BOOKS
MY BEST (CHILDREN's)AUTHORS SUFFERED CENSORSHIP
Were punished in their life and posthumously-from Shel Silverstein
J K Rowling,Roald Dahl,Anne Rice,Stephen King,J D Salinger,J R R Tolkein-
never forgetting Judy Blume,Madeleine L'Engle,S.E.Hinton,Phillip Pullman,
Harper Lee,Stephenie Meyer,Sonya Sones,Lynda Madaras,Jay Asher,
Alex Sanchez,Amy Sonnie,Brian K Vaughn,Madonna,Garth Nix,
Toni Morrison,Stephen Chbosky,Paul Zindel,Jeanette Winter,R.L.Stine,Mary Shelley,Hedy Lamarr,
Maurice Sendak,Maya Angelou-even Anonymous(who wrote GO ASK ALICE!
Upon review-all these books became children's essential texts/adopted and adapted
into movies,plays and themes.Prohibition increases the value of the forbidden.
Unless-like Nazis and the Taliban,you are buying your books for burning
and even that is in Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451!(BANNED!
According to the ALA, the books that were banned and challenged most between the years of 2000 and 2009 are:
1. Harry Potter (series) by J.K. Rowling
2. Alice series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
3. The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
4. And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson/Peter Parnell
5. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
6. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
7. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (series) by Alvin Schwartz
8. His Dark Materials (series) by Philip Pullman
9. ttyl; ttfn; l8r, g8r (series) by Lauren Myracle
10. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky