Sunday 23 November 2014

YES AT THE MELBOURNE’S PALAIS: PROG MADE ME WHAT I AM

Yes-band-600x330WEB
In the early ‘80s I was an archetypical post-punk. I played in a quirky three piece band (Serious Young Insects), I had a foppish fringe and wore black jeans and retro golfing shirts. I played at places like the Seaview Ballrom in St Kilda. I spurned anything rockist, bluesy, hippy —  1977 was ground zero. David Byrne was a hero. Jon Anderson, the singer from Prog progenitors, Yes, was a dinosaur.
But scratch under any post-punk art-rocker and you’ll probably find someone who was into Prog. Recently an old school friend, Sam Sejavka, contacted me about an impending concert by Yes at the Palais. They would perform two of their classic albums:  Fragile and Close To The Edge. Sam also plied his trade in the post-punk milieu and was far more of a punk enfantterrible than moi.
’Why go?’ I asked.
‘It’s irresistible’ he replied.
I’ve run from my prog past for too long. I got Yessongs for my 13th birthday and learnt to play guitar, not from the licks and swagger of Jimmy Page, but from the sinewy noodling of Yes’s Steve Howe. It ruined my chances of being a rock-god lead guitarist. But it lead to art-rock and thinking about the guitar and music from an elaborated, skewed angle. With Sam’s prompting I figured it’s time to explore how this strange, complicated music got into our bones when we were adolescents — before fashion, irony, ego, aesthetics, careers, sex, and common sense modulated our sensibilities.

CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FROM GONZO
Union (Standard DVD)
DVD - £9.99

Union (2CD)
2CD - £7.99

Rock Of The 70's
DVD - £12.99

Rock of the 70s
DVD - £9.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.