Saturday 6 April 2013

JON DAVISON INTERVIEW


Jesse Evans
Jon, welcome to the band. I’ve seen you twice now and I think you’re doing an awesome job. Thanks for keeping the legacy alive! My question: What was your reaction when you were first contacted by Yes to be the new singer? And a follow up, if I may: Who called you? Management or a band member? Thanks!
You’re certainly welcome, Jesse. It’s an honor to help forward the band.
My initial reaction to the news was one of practical concern. Despite the excitement of it all, I needed to keep a clear head and focus on straightening out all the practical details of this life changing event, not only for my own sake, but obviously for my family’s well being as well.
It was YES’ manager Paul Silveira who was the first to contact me with the news.
Scott C Leavell
First off – you are filling some very large shoes with a fantastic talent and class. You were definitely MVP of the night when I saw the band recently. Cheers! My question is: since it seems obvious that you were a fan before you ever joined Yes, could you talk a bit about your fandom of these great players as a young man, and how did it feel when you realized you were going to join the band?
Thanks for the kind words, Scott. As a shy and confused teenager, the music of YES as well as Roger Dean’s album cover artwork offered a portal to an alternate and grander frame of mind and heart, beyond the superficialities of teenage social existence. I was an aspiring bassist at the time and marveled at how other worldly and primal Chris’ bass lines are. I had the same feelings toward the unique styles of each member of the classic line-up. It really seemed that YES and their music were from another planet!
In most respects, joining the band felt like coming home. Beyond that, I can’t really express much with words.
Peter Clark
Are you intimidated at all by filling such “big shoes”?
They are indeed big shoes to fill, but a small child can feel the familiar warmth and love slipping on his father’s shoes even if he’s not yet ready to fill them. Jon Anderson’s love and creativity are embedded in his words and melodies to guide and inspire me. I like to think of it that way.

Read on...


CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FROM GONZO
Union (Standard DVD)
DVD - £9.99

Union (2CD)
2CD - £7.99

Rock Of The 70's
DVD - £12.99

The Lost Broadcasts
DVD - £7.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.