Tuesday 12 November 2013

DYLAN HOWE TAKES ON BOWIE (WITH HIS DAD ON KOTO)

Photo-main
A radical new take on the instumental cuts from David Bowie's 1977 albums Low and "Heroes".

This project is to fund the mastering, manufacture, release and promotion costs of my new album

Hi folks
I've made a new album, I think it's the best thing I've ever done (apart from marry my wife) and I'm really close to finishing it. I think it's my Close To The Edge, A Love Supreme, Exile On Main Street, Blood On The Tracks, Kind Of Blue (I think you get the picture).

It's taken six years and here's why; I did it outside of a label and paid for everything myself. I've made five albums as a leader and the last three have been made this way. I put them out on my label Motorik Recordings and they did pretty well (each selling a thousand copies or more).











Mock up of the cover
Mock up of the cover
This album was different, it wasn't a 'record it in two days, all in the same room, play some Blue Note charts and see what happens' kind of thing - I love those but, I had a more cinematic, multi layered kind of record in mind and that takes time and quite a bit more money. It is made up of my arrangements of Bowie's influential music from his Berlin Trilogy and I don't think there's anything like it out there. That's why I wanted to make it.
I had always really liked Bowie's mid 1970's albums; Station To Station, Low, "Heroes" and Lodger ever since I was in my early teens. This was when he was really vital and looking for new influences and places to go to musically. I had recently heard the Philip Glass versions of these songs and was looking for a new kind of catalyst and direction for my own group and new album.

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.