Tuesday 1 March 2011

Michael Bruce and Alice Cooper!


Michael Bruce as many will tell you was one of the original members of the Alice Cooper group. Michael co wrote many of the huge hits enjoyed by the band including School’s Out, No More Mr Nice Guy and Billion Dollar babies to name just a few. The original band split in 1974 and Michael recorded his own solo album entitled In My Own Way before reforming with Neal Smith and Dennis Dunnaway in the Billion Dollar Babies who released one album in 1977 entitled Battleaxe in.

Since then Michael has toured regularly and released solo albums. It was announced in late 2010 that The Alice Cooper group would be inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of fame in 2011 and it is also hinted that the original band may reform for some live dates.

Retroworld, the reissue division Floating World Records have just released a double CD Anthology entitled Be Your Lover that contains a disc of the sessions for his solo album, In My Own Way, and a disc of fifteen rare live and studio cuts, including his own takes on the aforementioned Alice Cooper classics.
The album is available to order directly from the Gonzo Website
Here is an exclusive Interview that Michael did around the original reissue of In My Own Way in February 2002.

INTERVIEW WITH MICHAEL BRUCE :
FEBRUARY 2002

Following the recording of Muscle of Love and what turned out to be the final tour by the original Alice Cooper Group; time was set aside for Michael Bruce, Neil Smith and Alice Cooper to record solo projects. Neil recorded an album entitled Platinum God, Alice recorded Welcome to My Nightmare and Michael recorded the album entitled In My Own Way. Following these solo projects, the band was meant to reconvene and record the next Alice Cooper album.

As history has shown, things didn’t quite turn out like that and Michael’s album didn’t even get a release. However, In My Own Way and the subsequent Billion Dollar Babies album Battleaxe were more intertwined than you might originally have thought…This is the story: read on.

Jon Kirkman: The last Alice Cooper album that had preceded the In My Own Way album was Muscle of Love, right?

Michael Bruce: Yes. I had moved out of the Cooper mansion at the Galici Estate and got my own place and Mick Mashbir and Bob Dolin had moved in with me as a matter of fact we did some of the rehearsals for Muscle of Love there in my studio. And we started working on… just tunes that were different. I knew they weren’t going to be Alice Cooper tunes, tunes like King of America.

JK: Some of the songs on the album do sound as though they could have been Alice Cooper songs, which I guess is understandable.

MB: Yeah, well you just have the nine tracks for the original album and the out-takes which are also coming out. I think there are some really good songs on there. You know it’s stuff I wrote that I would work up with the band and later would become Cooper songs, so my intention was an ongoing thing. Again, between Alice seeing dollar signs maybe and Shep and the powers that be with Glen’s problem, it just wasn’t going to happen and I found refuge as an artiste in my music! (Laughs)

JK: This album then was initially written as a complete project. There was nothing written originally for the Cooper Group.

MB: No, this was just songs I had written. Once I’d written Rock Rolls On – that’s what I originally wanted to call the album at first – but then I moved to Tahoe and the tentative working title was Sunburst and Mick, Bob and I worked with Curly Smith, the drummer for Jo Jo Gunne and John Barbata from LA, then we went to San Francisco and did a little thing with the drummer who worked with Paul McCartney, Denny Seiwell. Then I flew back to New York and I finally ended up meeting with Gene Cornish and Dino Danelli. It’s funny, I had played with them at some shows in Arizona when The Rascals had toured with Eric Burdon and The Animals in the sixties and we opened for them and I loved Dino’s drumming. I thought he was just too much – he was the only guy that I could remember who knew how to use a hi-hat. So we kind of hit it off and I played them the stuff and we started going through the material and we looked around for some additional material and we chose Friday On My Mind, which The Easybeats had recorded and So Far So Good from the Slade in Flame album. And then started recording at the Record Plant and the rest is history, as it were.

JK: Talking about the production for a minute, Gene Cornish and Dino Danelli were obviously members of The Rascals, which might have seemed an odd choice for producers of this album. How did you come to hook up with them for this project?

MB: Well, Shep Gordon had set up a meeting with Hank Medress who produced Tony Orlando and Dawn, and I was kinda like….Tony Orlando and Dawn?!? Anyway, he didn’t want to handle it personally, so he said he knew Gene and Dino and they were looking for different projects to do. So he linked us up and that’s how that came about. It was a kind of interesting thing. Shep was still my manager then. I was knocking around in LA and one of our roadies asked if I’d seen Alice’s new show and he took me to the secret sound stage at Warner Brothers, where Alice was rehearsing Nightmare. And when I saw it, I said “Oh my God, there’s the band but I’m not in it!” And that’s when it became apparent that what I thought was “a solo project and following that get back into the Cooper thing”, was just going to be “my unemployment”.

JK: Was it difficult for you then to get into the solo thing, as opposed to a group project?

MB: No, not at all. I started out in the sixties when I first started playing as a folk singer, doing stuff like, Michael Row the Boat Ashore, and all those Peter Paul and Mary, Dylan and all that. I had a band called the Other Brothers – not the Smothers Brothers (laughs) – but the Other Brothers. We had two guitars and a washtub bass. So I started off doing Hootenannies and being a folk singer. And then The Beatles came out and I got an electric guitar and the rest is history. So I kind of learnt to write songs from The Beatles, and I wrote, wrote, wrote and kind of where it went depended on who I was working with and who was producing. So I never had a problem, I was just writing and what was I going to do with all this extra stuff?

JK: Well, the album must have come out sometime in 1975 then?

MN: No, the album never came out. That’s kind of an interesting story. What happened was, as I’ve said, I see Alice’s Welcome To My Nightmare concept show and I’m just doing my humble little ol’ album and I realised the band wasn’t going to get back together. I went over to Alice’s and I played him my album and he played me his mega production of Nightmare, and Shep got me a deal with Polydor in Germany for $30,000 on the condition it would be released on signing an American deal. So Shep and I went to A&M and when I look back, the timing was just not good, because they had Frampton Comes Alive, Captain and Tenille, Herb Alpert, The Tubes, you know, they just didn’t need little ol’ me. So things are starting to move ahead with Alice and I’m starting to feel like the indentured servant.

JK: But at this time, Shep Gordon was still your manager?

MB: Yeah, still my manager. So I had the Polydor deal, but I had to get an American deal or Polydor aren’t going to release it. So one day Neil called me up and said “Hey Michael, what do you think about rehearsing and getting the band back together?” So I Said “I’m feeling kind of stalled out here and at the crossroads, not knowing which way to go.” So I went up to Connecticut and started playing with Neil and Dennis and they’re jamming with this guy Michael Marconi, who Neil had been writing with, and I just loved him, he was a great little guitar player. So I said, “Hey, let’s get a keyboard player, let’s get Bob Dolin.” So Bob was still in the Connecticut area, he came over and the next thing you know, we’re writing all this stuff for the next Cooper album, which we realised, was going to be the last album, like a farewell album. As a matter of fact, it got a little dicey there. We threatened an injunction against Nightmare and that’s when Alice said he’d do one more album with us. So we were working on that album and after the Nightmare thing, Shep calls us and said, “Alice doesn’t want to work with you.” So now we had this choice of: go ahead with what we’re doing, or sue. And us being the sweet, lovable nice guys we are (laughs), we just put our heads down and went for it - decided we were going to do Billion Dollar Babies and the album became Battleaxe.

JK: Ultimately, Polydor released the Battleaxe album, and yet they didn’t release your solo album?

MB: Well, this was Polydor in New York – the other deal was with Polydor in Germany.

JK: Record company politics seem to become very tangled and involved.

MB: Well, I spoke to Leo Fenn, who was our manager, and the plan was after the Billion Dollar Babies thing had taken off, we would get Polydor Germany to release my album later. Because it was just sitting there, waiting for an American deal. So we concentrated on the Billion Dollar Babies thing. We got a budget and I think we really did a great job. However, we weren’t thinking five steps ahead. We were dealing with Concerts West, who were going to break the band, were only going to tour us in 5,000 seaters. We were going to sell out and. Showco was going to do the sound.

JK: The Billion Dollar Babies show was a big show, very much in the Cooper tradition, wasn’t it?

MB: Yes, very much. The Battleaxe - sort of Rollerball, sci-fi, mega death, gladiator thing. Which I think would be perfect for right now. Alice should do it; it would be a great reunion vehicle.

JK: With the greatest respect, the Billion Dollar Babies show ground to a halt - after only 3 or 4 gigs wasn’t it?

MB: Let me explain what happened. The Concerts West whole tour was premised on the album going into the charts at 160 with a bullet, to get the promoters interested. Well, we shipped 60,000 albums; we had regional breakouts in Cashbox, Record World and Billboard. We had hit picks on the radio and we were on our way. What happened was there were two guys at Polydor who were responsible for reporting the chart action and record sales and evidently one of them got fired and the other one quit, the week our record was to report. So instead of 160 with a bullet, we came out at 199 with an anchor! (Laughs) And it was a downward spiral from then on - we could not regain momentum. We just couldn’t pull it together. We got rid of Leo Fenn; Sid Bernstein became involved, our lawyers tried to get another deal with Polydor but they wouldn’t do it. We also had problems with the record skipping because it wasn’t cut right. But that was the end of Billion Dollar Babies. We warmed up in Flint Michigan then we played The Silver Dome at Pontiac, and headlined in Chicago with UFO at the Aragon Ballroom. The show was great, everybody loved it, but the record was just not happening because of the various problems.

JK: And with that happening, obviously, the In My Own Way album sank even further to the bottom of the pile.

MB: Yeah, well I probably would have had more luck with that but at that time; Neil, Dennis and I financed the Battleaxe tour. Each of us probably spent about $75,000 of our own money, and I just went home to Tahoe to decide which form of ritual suicide I would take (laughs), and I kinda just melted into the woodwork, and that was pretty much it. The album never came out. They did press the jacket and we got a box of them at one time, but it never officially came out. Then - move forward in time – I was approached by One Way Records and they were supposed to re-master it and release it on CD. But I think they just put the tapes on and turned on the machine, because it came out all bassy and no level. It sounded awful, and they, of course, didn’t sell any because it sounded like mud. So this version after all this time is going to be wonderful, because there’s lot of great music on it and its recorded very well. A lot of people came down while we were recording it – Mickey Dolenz came down with Alice, Timothy B Schmidt from Poco, before he was in The Eagles, Gerry Beckley from American, Mylon LeFevre ….. I met George Martin there, Neil Young, Tony and Hunt Sales from Todd Rundgren’s band, I mean just on and on. Keith Moon came down and played and he go so drunk we couldn’t’ use his drum track – it was after two bottles of brandy!

JK: But that wasn’t unusual for Keith.

MB: No, but Dino wanted to keep it quiet, because we didn’t use his drum track, out of respect for Keith. But it’s funny, I walked into the studio and I said, “Guys, why do you have so much delay on the drums?” He was in time, but two or three beats behind and Dino said “That’s two bottles of Napoleon brandy, we’re not doing anything.” I couldn’t believe it (laughs).

JK: Well, the album is finally coming out as a double CD with a lot of bonus tracks. I know some of the songs are demos but are the others songs that were discarded at the time?

MB: Two of the songs were used, but I had a lot of material to choose from. Some of the songs that are on the album have different titles like there’s a song called Life Will Be Our Music and on the album it appears as If The Sky Should Fall. In My Own Way appears as a bonus track with totally different lyrics, but the same tune plus there’s tracks that I wrote that I never even used.

JK: Are you happy that it is now finally going to be released?

MB: The analogy that I can make is… it’s like being down in Mexico and you get real sick and you have to use the bathroom so bad… and you’re so happy when you’re finally relieved! (Laughs) What I mean is, this has been a long time coming, I’m glad it’s going to be out because when it did come out on CD it didn’t come out properly and it sounded bad. This is going to sound great and there is going to be so much more on there than the original album and I can now clear my table or agenda.

JK: In terms of Alice Cooper fans, it’s the missing piece of the jigsaw that comes between Muscle of Love and Battleaxe.

MB: Yeah, this is what I was doing when Alice was putting together Welcome To My Nightmare, and Neil was doing Platinum God.

JK: Now that it is coming out, I believe you have a new project on the way, which will consist of new material, but you’re also going to re-record some Cooper stuff as well.

MB: Yeah, it’s going to be a double album, tentatively titled The Dark Side of Love. One CD will be all new material and the other CD will be – as I affectionately call it – A Fistful of Bruceski – as opposed to Fistful of Alice. Me and my band are going to record the songs the way I hear them and the way I perform them and we hope to do two or three off each album. I’ve got a killer version – it’s called 18 Blues. It’s kind of Rocky Mountain Way and I’m 18 come together, that’s incredible. I’m still kicking around which songs I’m going to do. I’m going to try and hit some of the songs that haven’t been done for a while, like I’m not going to do School’s Out. But I though about Hallowed Be Thy Name, Perhaps as One, Luney Tune and maybe Halo of Flies with the original lyrics, and No More Mr Guy with the original lyrics. It will be very interesting for Cooper fans they’ll hear different things and different lyrics – it will be a lot of fun.

© Jon Kirkman2002 and 2011.

Buy the Michael Bruce CD Be Your Lover directly from the Gonzo Website
http://www.gonzomultimedia.co.uk/product_details/15223/Michael_Bruce-Anthology.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.