Saturday 15 June 2013

JUDY DYBLE WITH STRINGS ATTACHED


Sisterhood ArtAfter an intense burst of arranging strings and wind in May 2012, the latest album by Judy Dyble’s “Flow and Change” is ready to release on 1st July [updated] and is available on pre-order. I worked on a few tracks back in May 2012 - arranging one per night and then spending about a week on the finale. As usual, the strings are performed by Steve Bingham (violin), Brenda Stewart (viola), Lucy Mitchell (cello) and myself on double bass. Coincidently, some of the more electronic tracks were engineered by my school pal, Pete Vicary – although we had no idea of the other party’s involvement!
Featherdancing – This is a charmingly autobiographical song featuring flute (Naomi-Buchanan-Toms), oboe (Sam Jones) and clarinet (Liz Worth) – and strings. I had a bit of fun here inserting memories of melodies that the three sisters might have danced to.  Thanks to Dave Greene for recording the wind at Colchester Institute.
Beautiful Child – Arranged for string quintet with piano.  This arrangement just spoke to me and came out naturally. I like to find what I consider to be the right arrangement and often play the tracks on loop in the car to sing my arrangements before working in Sibelius 7.
Silence – This was organic and I wanted to portray what Judy was singing about. I actually listen to lyrics these days! Raindrop pizzicato was inspired by Vivaldi’s Winter but it’s all me really.
CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FROM GONZO

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.