Friday 27 December 2019

THOSE WE HAVE LOST: Joan james (Mother) (1929-2019)

Image result for mother gonzo


Joan James
(1929-2019)

I have sad news for you all, I'm afraid: Corinna's Mother, known to everyone whether they were related to her or not, as just "Mother", died peacefully at about 2:30 this morning. It was far from being unexpected, but there is a bloody great mother-shaped hole in my life which will never be filled. There are all sorts of clichés about how men are not supposed to get on with their mothers-in-law, but I adored Mother from the first time we met, and even though her health declined rapidly due to vascular dementia, she and I still enjoyed each other's company up to a few days before the end. It was a privilege to have known her, and because I was estranged from my own Mother when she died, she gave me a second chance to explore feelings that I never thought I would ever get the chance to experience again.

"All is well.
Nothing is hurt; nothing is lost.
One brief moment and all will be as it was before.
How we shall laugh at the trouble of parting when we meet again!

                            Henry Scott Holland"

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.