Monday 9 November 2015

Talking Shop: System 7

System 7

Almost 25 years on from the release of their debut LP, Steve Hillage and Miquette Giraudy, the duo at the heart of London-based ambient outfit System 7, are still exploring the limits of recording technology in order create their unique textural brand of guitar and synth-led electronic music.

With a pair of new albums out this month – a System 7 LP and an ambient leaning effort as Mirror System – we caught up with Hillage to chat about how the group's studio and approach to production has changed over the years.

When did you start making music, and how did you first get started?

"I started learning piano at the age of four, but switched to guitar at the age of nine. Got my first electric guitar at the age of 13 and after a couple of years my playing was pretty good. I recorded my first studio album (called Arzachel) at the age of 17, while still at school.

"I decided to leave Kent University and to do music as a full time career at the age of 20 and got my first record deal soon after, largely through my contacts with fellow Canterbury musicians, signing a management deal with Caravan's management. But as well as playing guitar I always wanted to be a record producer. For me the two things have gone hand in hand."


CURRENTLY AVAILABLE AT GONZO:



No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.