Thursday 19 September 2013

Corky Laing review

When I threw on Playing God, Original Music from Test: The Rock Opera, I wasn’t quite sure what was going to happen. Several classic rock outfits popped into my head; Pink Floyd and The Who of course, as well as other known rock opera’s such as Hedwig and the Angry Inch and The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Then again maybe it was just going to be moody instrumental music and or classical orchestrations. Either way, I was pleasantly surprised by what I found. 
The album is headed by Mountain drummer Corky Laing and is in conjunction with a concept thought up by Prof. Matti Häyry and Dr. Tuija Takala about Genetic Engineering, their idea’s manifested through this rock opera. I would say I was surprised but I’ve been here before. 
The album is silly, explosive, intellectual, and all around madness as we explore sociological issues, suicide, the afterlife, the God’s, and so much more with the rock opera’s characters as they toy with human creation, struggle with the human condition, and watch on as they reap what they’ve sown. 
The music on the album is an eclectic mix of metal, 80’s glam rock, even some Spanish sounding guitar work, as well as the usual style of operatic rock genre music that can only be found in a rock opera. To add to the amazing factor are the vocals. Corky Laing’s voice is raspy, reminded me of Tom Wait’s a few times, but also, Laing is in that category of singers that has a unique voice that isn’t quite right, but is totally acceptable in contrast with the emotional levels found within. He’s tired, depressed, insane, but all together simply a character voice that’s been through the ringer and isn’t afraid to be heard. 
While I started this album off feeling a bit meh with the vocal work and the overall style, by the second song I was all in and looking forward to listening to the album all over again. Great story work, fantastic vocals, incredibly good backing music. Now if only I could find this on a stage somewhere. Believe me I looked to see if the opera was on DVD, a bootleg recording on you tube, anything. The mad search continues, but I’ll always have this excellent album to fall back on. I highly suggest to any fan of the rock opera. Perfection.  


CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FROM GONZO
Playing God
CD - £9.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.