Wednesday 19 March 2014

I HAVE ALWAYS SAID THAT GONZO WEEKLY/DAILY WILL NEVER ENDORSE A POLITICIAN. I THINK PERHAPS I WILL HAVE TO MAKE AN EXCEPTION

Bez From The Happy Mondays Joins Barton Moss Fracking Protesters
Happy Mondays star Bez joins anti-fracking protesters blocking lorries at the Barton Moss site near Manchester. Photograph: Christopher Furlong/Getty Images
The main reason I have decided to run as an independent MP for Salford and Eccles is because I've quietly been living a permaculture existence for the past three years. I'm a beekeeper and take beehives into schools, along with juices and organic vegetables. I am trying to get permaculture on to the national curriculum to teach children how to take care of their own health, rather than relying on businesses to feed them.
I've been calling myself a revolutionary as I have given up all personal ownership, have started living a certain way and have been shouting about changing things. But then I realised it's not a revolution I need: I should contribute. There is a system set up that we live in, and I've got to use that system and fight the revolution from within. It's about taking steps against the bankers, corporations and people trampling all over human rights.
I went along to the fracking protest at Barton Moss to lend my support because of the concerns I have about environmental issues. If we allow fracking to happen in Salford and Manchester, any idea of a permaculture society will end with it. I am standing as an MP to draw attention to the debate because I believe fracking is unsafe technology and the damage it could do to the environment is irreversible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.