Sunday 1 June 2014

Chad Smith talks Will Ferrell Drum Off and sparring with Ginger Baker


It's fair to say that it's been a busy old week for Chad Smith.
First, he took on Will Ferrell in a much-hyped drum off and then yesterday Musicradar released the latest in Chad's In Conversation With series. That particular clip shows Chad up against an even more formidable opponent than Ferrell as he faces off against Ginger Baker in a hugely uncomfortable 42-minute interview.
Rhythm got on the phone with Chad to get his reaction to these two bruising battles.
Chad, we loved the Drum Off, although some people seemed surprised that Will mimed his playing. I think some expected a Hollywood star to have spent the last few months relentlessly practising…
"To me, the funny gag was that he is obviously not a drummer so he was going to make a joke of it because that's what he does. Of course, he was pretending to play and Questlove was off camera playing live. A lot of people have said, 'Wow, I didn't know Will could play the drums!' It just goes to show that people don't pay attention to the drummer."
It looked like you had a blast up there. How much work went into putting it together?
"It was really fun. We had not met up beforehand. I spoke to him on the phone once. We weren't good friends or anything, it was just for charity because of the physical resemblance we supposedly had. I have to say it was kind of creepy when I showed up at his dressing room and he looked exactly like me! I was like, 'Man, that's kind of weird, he does look like me.' We were standing backstage getting ready to go on, and this was out of my comfort zone, going on a chat show to talk about a made up drumming rivalry, and Will turned to me and said when Jimmy asked us questions I should be him and he'd be me. I was like, 'Ok…sure.' I had to be the straight man which was difficult because looking at him and the stuff he was saying making up the jam house, he was making that up on the spot, so I had to not lose it. I couldn't look at him much or I would have cracked up."
CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FROM GONZO
Live
DVD - £9.9

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.