Friday 27 April 2012

CURVED AIR: It happened today

I have always been very fond of the music of Curved Air. However, watching their DVD in the massively groovy Gonzo series, 'The Lost Broadcasts', last night, I was struck by sometjhing. Back in the day, when I was about 14 I cherished a mad passion for Sonja Kristina, the chanteuse with the band. She would have been about 23 at the time, which would have made her definitely into the realm of 'the older woman'.

I remember confessing my mad passion to my mother, who sniffed in a disapproving manner. I showed her a picture of Sonja and she sniffed even more. You could see Ms Kristina's elbows, and apparently that was a sign of being a loose woman of the worst sort. Sonja Kristina joined the Duke of Windsor, Oscar Wilde, and the woman at #17 as being people who were never to be mentioned at the dinner table again.

Watching the DVD with my lovely wife last night, I was struck by how pleasant and respectable Sonja looked. In a day where many popstrels are anorexic young women prancing around in their underwear, Sonja Kristina looks like the unspoiled girl-next-door.



I know that my parents were ridiculously old fashioned for their time, and I am probably a bit libertarian for mine, but it is a mark of how times have changed...

Check out the Gonzo artist page for the album

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.