Wednesday 4 November 2015

Jon Anderson Would Love to Be Involved in Potential Rock Hall Ceremony: 'I Never Felt That I've Left Yes'

Jon Anderson Yes

Jon Anderson will be happy to serve if Yes is elected into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's class of 2016 -- even though the group booted him out 10 years ago when he couldn't tour for health reasons.

"That'd be cool," Anderson, who's about to start a tour with violinist Jean-Luc Ponty and their AndersonPonty Band, tells Billboard. "It's funny, 'cause I never felt that I've left Yes. Emotionally I'm still in that Yes entity. When we were very, very young as a band I realized that Yes is this thing above us. It's something to do with the energy of who we are musically and not who's in the band. People say, 'What's it like not being in Yes?' and I feel like I'm still in Yes. I'm always thinking Yes music, and the best of what Yes has done is still alive and kicking. 'Heart of the Sunrise' and 'Awaken,' all these songs I was helping to evolve when I was in the band, it's still alive and going. It reaches a lot of people."

Janet Jackson, N.W.A, Nine Inch Nails Nominated for 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Yes has been nominated for a second time this year after previously appearing on the 2014 ballot. Anderson has performed at the Rock Hall before, and during one visit, he recalls, "They walked me around and then they said to me, 'You see that corner over there, Jon? That's for Yes.' I said, 'Well, I'll see you in 10 years...' Y'know when you walk around that place you realize that I'm part of that incredible amount of music, incredible amount of great artists, and my time will come when I'll be there, whether I'm alive or what. I just know that what I did with Yes, what I did with Vangelis and what I've done in my career is part of the sort of jigsaw puzzle of music, isn't it?"


CURRENTLY AVAILABLE AT GONZO:

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.