Wednesday 11 September 2013

Drawing (and painting) on rock and roll: Q&A with Grace Slick


Everybody knows about Grace Slick, the Jefferson Airplane singer who broke out of the mid-1960s San Francisco psychedelic scene with hits like “White Rabbit” and “Somebody to Love.”
Few know about Grace Slick, the artist, who will be exhibiting her works at Gallery 319, 19720 Ventura Blvd in Woodland Hills, beginning Tuesday, Sept. 10, 2013. Fans can meet her during a special public appearance from 6 to 9 p.m. Sept. 21 at the gallery. (RSVP is required: 818-347-0319 or info@gallery-319.com.)
While great art — especially of the literary variety — had a profound effect on her music, Slick’s visual art is profoundly influenced by rock and roll, from which she derives an unambiguous energy.
LA.com chatted with Slick about everything from her career in music to the link between sonic and visual art, and even her early days as a fashion model.
LA.COM: There are quite a few musicians who are also artists. What do you think is the connection between art and music?
Grace Slick: Well, it’s same part of the brain. In other words. if you said to me, “I’m sorry, you can’t paint anymore,” then I’ll be a set designer, (and if you say) “I’m sorry you can’t’ be a set designer,” then I’ll write a book, (and if you say) “I’m sorry you can’t write a book,” OK then … I could just go on.
The only art that I can’t do is dance because I’m a spastic. I don’t know if it’s inner ear, but I can walk into walls just walking around my house. So that’s the only art that I wouldn’t do. I don’t even care which art it is as long as I’m doing something, because if I’m not creating something, I get kind of nuts.
LA.COM: Are you more disciplined as an artist or musician?
Grace Slick: It’s pretty much the same in both areas. I keep going and keep at it until I get what I like. It may take an hour, or it may take weeks. It’s always different.

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.