Friday 4 April 2014

‘Shot’ on the Steps of the Royal College of Music; It Was All in the Cause of Rick Wakeman’s ‘Success Story’

It was back in 1975 when I was approached by Alan Yentob, a BBC producer, who in 1993, was promoted to Controller of BBC One, responsible for the output of the BBC's premier channel, to see if I would like to participate in a documentary he was making called "Success Story" about keyboard wizard, Rick Wakeman.    

The film was part way through when Rick felt he was not able to continue (at least for a while) and so Yentob asked me if I would step in and help and, of course, I was pleased to do so as I was just completing the authorized biography about my dear friend called "Rick Wakeman: The Caped Crusader" (foreword by Elton John.)

Elton wrote in his foreword for the book, "Rick's mastery of electronic instruments only adds to his abilities, and I think it is fair to say he was one of the reasons I stuck to the piano. I also admire his attitude to stage shows - always willing to take a gamble, but never sacrificing his musical ideals. Just as important, never losing his sense of humour and his sense of the ridiculous. Anyone who can put on an ice show at Wembley must be all right. I must add that Rick loves cars and is a fanatic when it comes to soccer. Therefore, he and I have an unbreakable bond.
CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FROM RICK WAKEMAN AT GONZO
Liive At The Empire Pool
CD - £9.99

Live in Lincoln Cathedral
2CD - £7.99

Live At The Maltings
DVD/CD - £9.99

Caped Crusader- Rick Wakeman in the 1970s
Book - £14.99

Video Vaults
6DVD box - £85.00

The Burning 
CD - £9.99

Cirque Surreal 
CD - £7.99

Gole 
CD - £9.99

1984
CD - £9.99

Cost Of Living 
CD - £9.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.