Tuesday 19 July 2016

SAVE THE HENS

My name is Lucy and I’m 14. When I started a petition earlier this year asking Tesco to stop selling eggs from caged hens I never imagined that 280,000 people would sign it or that I would get a face to face meeting with Tesco's Head of Agriculture. But it all really happened and now the supermarket giant has pledged to stop selling eggs from caged hens!
This is an incredible moment and I can’t thank everyone that backed me enough. Now with this victory secured, I believe we can get all UK supermarkets to stop selling eggs from caged hens: 
Morrisons and Asda, still intend to sell caged eggs without any obvious intent to change. So I have started a new petition calling for Asda and Morrisons to stop selling eggs from caged hens. Please join me.
Caged eggs come from hens that spend 72 weeks cramped in restrictive cages, unable to spread their wings or experience the outside world. After this time, many of the hens are barely feathered and close to death. No animal deserves to live like this. 
The fact that Tesco, the biggest supermarket in Britain, has decided to stop selling caged hens’ eggs proves that no matter how big the company, the prospect of a free-range future is not impossible.
The power to make this change is in our hands, now it is clear that supermarkets really do listen to public pressure I know we can make this change happen again.

From
Lucy Gavaghan

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.