Friday 18 December 2015

YES FUTURE WAS IN DOUBT WHEN SQUIRE DIED - SHERWOOD



Chris’ replacement Billy reveals concerns about whether he’d be accepted

Billy Sherwood has confirmed the future of Yes was in doubt following the death of Chris Squire.

He passed away in June after a battle with cancer, and drummer Alan White soon said the band would keep going because that’s what the late bassist had asked them to do.

But Sherwood – who’d been standing in for Squire since his illness was announced – has owned up to concerns about whether he’d be accepted.

He tells Classic Rock Revisited: “No one was sure if Yes was going to continue, with me at the tip of that spear. I wasn’t sure. Will these people accept me here? I understand the pain – but will this work?

“To my surprise, I’m very happy to say the majority of Yes fans are rallying behind the band right now.”

He recalls the comforting experience of the band’s most recent Cruise To The Edge event, referring to “lots of love and well-wishes for Chris and his family” and “the same emotions and feelings for Yes moving forward and me doing what I’m doing.”

Sherwood – who’s on his third stint with Yes – admits he didn’t realise he was being lined up to permanently replace Squire when the pair first spoke about it.

“It was about filling in for him. But as things progressed and he got closer to his mortality, I think he was more in touch with reality than I was. In his way he was prepping me for, you know, ‘You are going to take this. Do you promise me you’re going to do this? Tell me you’re into it.’ All these things.

“I went through the whole process of him telling me, ‘I just got diagnosed,’ all the way up to talking to him four or five days before he passed away. It was shocking too – on that last phone call he told me, ‘I beat the cancer.’ And that was the last time I talked to him.

Read More...

CURRENTLY AVAILABLE AT GONZO:

Union (2CD)
2CD - £7.99

Rock Of The 70's
DVD - £7.99

The Lost Broadcasts
DVD - £7.99

Rock of the 70s
DVD - £7.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.