Thursday 21 February 2013

A RATHER SAD THING TO SAY

Last night it was the 2013 Brit Awards. And I didn't know anything about it, because my mind was elsewhere. However, this morning I looked them up to see what I had missed. And I had hardly heard of anyone. Once upon a time I used to consider myself hip. Even now, I write about music every day, and music is a very important part of my life. Unlike the stereotypical 53 year old, I still listen to new music, and I have very broad tastes. So tell me this:

WHY WERE ALL THE NAMES ON TODAY'S LIST OF WINNERS VIRTUAL STRANGERS TO ME?

I had hardly even heard of most of the nominees. On the BBC page about the event, the only person I recognised was Boy George. I felt completely bypassed by the whole thing. The Smiths once sang:

"Because the music that they constantly play It says nothing to me about my life"

I know exactly what they mean. Sad innit?

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.