Tuesday 6 August 2013

Jilted John's new fame at the altar of comedy


Graham-Fellows-as-organist-John-Shuttleworth-at-Big-Chill-in-2007-Pic-Getty-Graham Fellows as organist John Shuttleworth at Big Chill in 2007 (Pic: Getty)
In 1992 I took my comedy show, John Shuttleworth's Guide To Stardom, to the Edinburgh Fringe for the first time. The venue was a cramped, airless attic; one of a handful of pop-up stages at the Pleasance Theatre.

It had a reputation for innovative, offbeat comedy. My show was, I like to think, exactly that and my Edinburgh debut turned out to be worth the price of the train ticket from Doncaster and more: I won the Critics Award and almost won the coveted Perrier Award.
Officially, no one knows how the judges scored but I was tipped off that I had lost the award by one vote to Steve Coogan and John Thompson.

No disgrace though, as there were two of them and they performed at least six characters between them.
I did only one: versatile singer/organist John Shuttleworth; a bumbling, deluded showbiz wannabe and former security guard in Rotherham with two children, Darren and Karen, a dinner lady wife called Mary and next door neighbour Ken Worthington whose claim to fame was coming last on New Faces in 1973.

That's five characters but, unlike in Coogan and Thompson's show, four remain offstage and are never seen. John likes to dwell on things: "Tony Hatch crucified him! Tony was so angry there was a bit of saliva at the side of his mouth. And I think a bubble appeared, briefly."
I was in Coronation Street for a while. My favourite scene was where I was duffed up by Brian Tilsley
Graham Fellows
I remember Steve Coogan took me to one side and said: "That's great, that bit about Tony Hatch. Nice detail. You're going to go far with this character..."

Coogan is now a Hollywood star, sort of, whereas I am still living in a small town in Lincolnshire.

I'm down the road from Barbara Dickson, admittedly, and I occasionally bump into Emmerdale's Patrick Mower at the leisure centre, so my life is not without glamour but I have never reached the dizzy heights of the fame predicated for me.

I am happy with that. John Shuttleworth started as a cottage industry in the mid-Eighties. I made audio cassettes of John's ditties and musings for friends, with handmade paper labels glued on with a Pritt Stick.
CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FROM GONZO
The Shuttleworths 5
2CD - £11.99

Southern Softies
DVD - £12.99

Shuttleworths Series 1
DCD - £11.99

Open Mind
DCD - £11.99

Radio Shuttleworth 1
DCD - £11.99

Blue John
CD - £9.99

The Shuttleworths 3
2CD - £11.99

The Dolby Years
CD - £9.99

Shuttleworths 2
DCD - £11.99

4 Rather Tasty Tracks 
CDS - £3.99

It's Nice Up North 
DVD - £12.99

500 Bus Stops 
DVD - £11.99

The Shuttleworths 4
DCD - £11.99

The Yamaha Years
CD - £9.99

Radio Shuttleworth 2 
DCD - £11.99

The Shuttleworths Specials
CD - £9.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.