Sunday 13 March 2016

PLAYLIST: Strange Fruit 154 - I Wish I Was A Girl (David Bowie tribute)

Strange Fruit is a unique two-hour radio show exploring the world of underground, strange and generally neglected music. All shows are themed and all shows set out to give the most hardened of sound-hounds some new delight to sample. The show is also unique in providing homework for undergraduate students on North West Kent College’s Foundation Degree in Professional Writing (who dig up many of the odd facts featured in the links between tracks). The show is broadcast on Miskin Radio every Sunday from 10-00-midnight. Every other week the show is now presented by Jeremy Smith and as the two promotional pictures that he sent consisted as one of him covered in mud and the other of him covered in guinea pigs he is obviously mad as a bagful of cheese, which means he will fit in here just fine!

He writes: I’ve been a huge music fan ever since my parents bought me a transistor radio and I would listen to the sixties pirate music stations at nights under the covers. This love of live music has stayed with me to this day and I still love standing in a small club like the Borderline in London with some mates and watching a band with a pint in my hand. With the Strange Fruit radio show, I want to continue the trend of doing themed shows and playing the music I love.

Strange Fruit 154 - I Wish I Was A Girl (David Bowie tribute)
In the light of the recent death of David Bowie, this shows celebrates his music, transgendered artists and songs about confused gender
Featured Album: None really - just the best of Bowie
Tracks
1 The Kinks: Lola
2 John Cooper Clarke: Crossing the Floor
3 Counting Crows: I Wish I was a Girl
4 Against Me!: True Trans Soul rebel
5 Conchita Wurst: Rise Like a Phoenix
6 David Bowie: Ziggy Stardust
7 David Bowie: Jean Genie
8 Divine: You Think You're a Man
9 Culture Club: Church of the Poisoned Mind
10 Namoli Brennet: Boy in a Dress
11 The Velvet Underground: Candy Says
12 Chris Hadfield: Space Oddity
13 Nirvana: Man Who Sold the World
14 Mott the Hoople: All the Young Dudes
15 The Replacements: Androgynous
16 Pink Floyd: Arnold Layne
17 Manic Street Preachers: Born a Girl
18 The Vaccines: I Wish I was a Girl
19 Wayne County: Waiting for the Marines
20 Jayne County and the Electrick Queers: Ready to Stop
21 Grace Jones: My Jamaican Guy
22 Meryn Cadell: The Sweater
23 David Bowie: Queen Bitch
24 David Bowie: Bewlay Brothers
25 Pink Fairies: I Wish I was a Girl
26 Antony & the Johnsons: For Today I am a Boy
27 The Dresden Dolls: Half Jack
28 David Bowie: Heroes


No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.