Wednesday 18 April 2012

JON ANDERSON/STEVE HOWE: A most peculiar cover version...

I have always been a big fan of Bob Dylan. I have also always been a big fan of Yes. But I never in a million worlds thought that I would hear this: two Yes stalwarts collaborating on a Bob Dylan cover version. But not just any old Bob Dylan cover version - the iconic song that His Bobness wrote to impress future wife Sara Lowndes. Much to my surprise their audacity pays off. This 12 minute version of 'Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands' is really good...



I was going to leave my writing here, but curiosity drove me on, and I found that - much to my embarrassment I had actually missed a whole Steve Howe album. 'Portraits of Bob Dylan' was recorded 13 years ago back in 1999, and includes loads of guest vocalists including the lovely Annie Haslam...

Check out the Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman page at Gonzo
Check out the Anderson, Wakeman, Bruford and Howe page at Gonzo

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.