Wednesday 13 June 2012

DAVE CURTIS: Onward with Hawkwind to Stamford

Dear Jon,

Woke up Sunday 27th of May.

Hawkwind T-shirt nicely pressed and Doc Martens polished to a high sheen, Kissed Mrs C goodbye and drove down the A1 to the lovely town of Stamford.

Booked into my hotel and then headed for a pub I'd seen on the internet called the Green Man. Sat in there from Noon till about four drinking Scrumpy (will I never fuckin' learn) talking to some wonderful people from all over the world. Phoned Graham to tell him that the Hawkwind tour bus had been splattered with paint and then drank some more Scrumpy before staggering off to my hotel room. Sat down....Good night Vienna!

Woke with a start! Whaaaa! What time is it? Eyes wont focus, is that 7.50pm or 7.50 Monday morning? It's PM Thank God! I drag myself to the shower clicking the kettle on as I stumble passed. Coffee, I need strong coffee, fill the cup half full and neck it luke warm. Disgusting but effective.

Luckily for me The Corn Exchange theatre is just around the corner from my hotel so I got there in plenty of time. The stage was done up like a paint ball battle, all camouflage and foliage to tie in the cover of their new album Onward. New member too, Dead Fred is operating something but I cannot make out what as I am quite far back and what ever it is, its hid behind a bush and Richard Chadwick is behind him. Poor Richard, I could just make out his head now and again, I should have brought my opera glasses.

The Corn Exchange is a lovely little gem, run by volunteers apparently. They do a bloody good job but I think they are more use to productions of Puss in Boots rather than rock bands, they look a bit shell shocked at sight of the motley crew that has packed their beloved theatre to the rafters. Didn't see any spliffs in amongst the choc ices and ice lollies in the usherette's tray at half time.

Onward....the band are up for it and it sounds good from where I am sitting. New numbers and the classics are blasted through with aplomb. The dancers are up for it too and they seem to have a few new characters in their act. A green eyed demon and a goddess with long flowing dress and hair on stilts! Very big stilts! Wow.

It seems almost like a greatest hits gig because the crowd are treated to some absolute belters. 'Damnation alley' is a stand out!

All too soon its over as the chords crash in for 'Silver machine' and everyone goes home with a smile on their face.

Hawkwind have hit a rich run of form. Hurrah.

And me? I go back to my hotel avoiding the Green Man and it's dynamite Scrumpy.

Regards

Davey C

1 comment:

  1. The two southern dates i went to didn't have the dancers.... shame! still really enjoyed the gigs, though!

    ReplyDelete

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.