Sunday 14 October 2012

EXCLUSIVE: Helen McCookerybook Interview




Well the whole thing was supposed to tie in with Helen's new limited edition electronica album, Voxpop Puella, which is only available through http://mccookerybook.blogspot.co.uk/ but, as always happens when Helen and I start chatting, the whole thing got out of hand and will be run over the next four days. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did...

JON: Tell me about the new album

HELEN: Well, in about 2000 or something, I’d been writing a lot of music for friends’ films and we’d always sort of say, well you haven’t got any money but one day you can make a film for me, and one day I kind of decided to take them up on it and I had this idea of doing a show that was a film of the seven ages of women, with seven songs to go between them that kind of went with all the different ages of women.  It was amazing because everybody I asked to make a film not only said yes but they also told me what age they wanted to make a film of and Gina Birch was one of the people who did it, and Joan Ashworth who is now Head of Animation at the Royal College of Art, and a woman called Jane Profit who’s quite a famous kind of artist now and so I had lovely films and I got a grant from the Arts Council – I went on tour with the Film and Music Show with Gina – she had a show as well. 

And just recently I was clearing out some old DAT tapes and I found the backing tracks, and I’d actually sung over some of them and recorded them, and I listened to them and thought, well they are quite different from what I do now, but it would be quite nice to do a sort of limited edition release of them and two of them I did new vocals for because I wasn’t too happy with them, and I sent them up to Stirling to get them remastered...so yes I am releasing it and my eldest daughter’s just graduated from Brighton Art College in graphics so she’s done the cover so it’s a real kind of homemade family kind of thing,  but the music itself is erm, it’s electronic – I programmed it in my lunch hours when I was working in the University of Westminster. I had a really good piece of technology called a JV1080 which is a sort of Roland sampler really... well no it’s not a sampler, it’s got a lot of different sounds on it and I sort of wrote everything from scratch on to that – the drums, the bass; some of it’s got horn arrangements, some of it’s semi-psychedelic so it’s not like my other stuff at all, but it’s still sort of songs and I thought, well I’ll release that and see what happens.

JON: Sounds wonderful

HELEN: I was definitely quite proud of it at the time and it was quite an unusual sort of show, and we went out and did workshops and things and funnily enough, the people who liked it best  were teenagers – a bunch of drunken teenagers from Cornwall and the people who I thought would like it  most – sort of older women – some of them absolutely  hated it so it was quite interesting, you  know.

JON: Well it sounds absolutely wonderful and I’m looking forward to it. What about the films?  Are they still  in existence?

HELEN: Well I’ve still got the films, but getting permission would be a nightmare.  If I do take it any further, for instance if I do ask Rob to release it or something, then I would get permission for the films and put the films with the music, and do it as a whole thing, because it is an interesting... the films are fantastic, I have to say they are really, really interesting – all really interesting in themselves, you know.  One of the filmmakers who did the teenage age, she’s a Japanese filmmaker called Akiko and she lives in Germany, but she filmed it in Iceland, and another woman, Charlotte Worthington, she filmed her 102-year-old granny talking about being a mill-worker in Manchester.  They are just really, really interesting films.  Because I did the book, I had to get lots of permissions for that and I did the Chefs CD and I had to get a lot of permissions for that, and actually getting all the permissions is quite time-consuming and exhausting, and I just thought I would start off with the music and see how that goes and then maybe do more later, you know.

JON: Well it sounds a fascinating project.  The sort of thing I love anyways.

HELEN: Well I hope you like the music anyway.  It was funny because I did it in all sorts of different – as I said these boys and girls in Cornwall and a group of over-60s ladies’ Theatre Group in Newcastle-upon-Tyne and also it finished off in the Edinburgh fringe and it was featured on Radio 4 as the show that sold the least tickets <laughs>

JON: I really like art projects like that.  I am not denigrating it – I love silly art projects. Somebody like you who does that because it is a good thing to do, that’s what I love most...

HELEN: Well everybody that did it with me was 100% into it and the very first performances were at a big warehouse down next to the River Thames and it was called the Museum of Emotions and they offered me two nights there.  Now it’s been converted into expensive houses.  It was a fantastic place because it had a red plush carpet, and I projected the films on to this massive gilt frame and there were feathered lights, you know, and people sat on huge bean bags and even the security guard liked it there...but you do these things and people just like them.  It started off completely unfunded and it was only the tour that was funded, everybody just did it to repay their debts to me for music, or just for fun, you know it was a combination, it was just done for the sake of doing it and it actually lived for quite a long time so in a way, you know, releasing the tracks now is a kind of thing of saying well yeah, it was there. It happened and it’s quite nice actually to have my daughter to do the artwork because when I did the tour, my girls – I have two daughters – they were both really young and they used to come to every gig and I used to slick my hair back and they’d tell  me that I looked like a tramp <laughS> so that now she has graduated it’s really nice to have her doing the design for it and everything.

I am actually waiting to receive them.  I am on tenterhooks and she is really excited as well because it is her first professional thing.  It takes a while for things to turn up.  I ‘phoned them and I think they are coming on Thursday, but I’ve got  a copy of the cover, I can definitely send you a copy of the cover artwork.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.