Friday 12 October 2012

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Michael Des Barres (Part Two)


Here is the second part of my recent chat with Michael Des Barres. If you missed the first part check it out HERE Yesterday we finished with the bombshell that there is already news about what happens next...

MICHAEL: I have already written the next album which I am calling Drop the Needle.

JON: That’s good, that works on so many different levels.

MICHAEL: It’s both a double entendre of drug addiction and of course a return to authenticity – it’s drop the needle, crackle and hiss, taste as sweet as your first kiss is the chorus.

JON: Is it going to be the same sort of style as the current one?

MICHAEL: Oh yes, it’s going to be even more rockin’.  I ain’t getting sensitive here. I am going to rock as hard as anybody has rocked in the context of the roll. You know, I want it to roll and I want it to be really, you know, ballsy.  I want to play live, you know for the next year.  I want to go out and play this music.

Well, you’ve also got to keep smart and what I’ve learnt is that smart means digital media and making people aware of you in a loving and confident and self-deprecating way.  You know, there is a way of communicating with people to make them fall in love with you, so they want to hear your music. So it’s not just about throwing music at people, it’s about gently, but firmly letting people know that you’re serious and that I’m carrying a flag for a rock and roll army that is under attack.

JON: I agree totally.

MICHAEL: I mean the kind of music that you love, Jonathan, is the kind of music I love, and it is disappearing. That’s why Steve van Zandt is so important. His show, Underground Garage on Sirius is very, very important because it introduces people to bands that are playing music that is not auto-tuned  - you know the music that is played in a room and captured in that moment.  That’s the music that is going because producers have become like movie directors, it’s their ball game.

JON: Yes, it’s all auto-tuned and pro-tools

MICHAEL: You know me, I don’t denigrate anybody’s work, you know, whatever it is but it is not rock and roll. To me, my version of it anyway. But it still gets people off, I think Skrillex is extraordinary but it is just not my cup of tea.  I want to have a cup of tea with Jonathan and Corinna and some fuckin’ cake... I don’t want to sit with the headphones on Ecstasy listening to these infantile couplets, you know

JON: We could talk for hours and keep this running for months

MICHAEL: Absolutely we could, and we should. And we must update it. You know, they are making this documentary about me and it’s winding down and it’s amazing this documentary.  It’s had Steve Jones, John Taylor, Gabriel Byrne, Don Johnson, my first wife when I was a teenager, Miss Pamela, my current love who I adore, all of Silverhead, you know every clip of every movie, and extensive interviews with yours truly.

 ... I mean Japan with Silverhead. You know all the upcoming stuff will be in the movie, and then there’s footage of me marrying this couple in Austin, Texas which is hilarious when you think about it – to cut from Live Aid to me marrying these people in a field in Texas .

The movie is in edit right now.  It will be done – I think it will be completed by the middle of November and then it will be officially sent out to all the festivals – the aim is to have in South by Southwest and then Sundance.

And then it’s called My Name is Michael des Barres, You Should Make a Movie About Me

JON: Sounds fantastic...

MICHAEL: It’s amazing Jonathan.  It’s me from Sidney Poitier to Steve Jones for Christ’s sake.

JON: You can’t get much more multi-cultural than that, can you?

MICHAEL: Not really....I don’t know anybody who’s done that, and at the same time I never, ever claimed to be Sting or Rod Stewart or any of these super-Bonoesque rock  idols.  That’s not my story.  You know, my story is one of meta-physical growth and understanding why I am here. It’s not about being and working you know, as I say, working with rescue animals and being sober. It’s about love, it’s about connection and it’s about rock and roll, it’s about expressing yourself for God’s sake.

JON: Now I have got one last question before I disappear.  I had an email a couple of days ago from one of our readers who said, ‘Next time you speak to Michael ask him, is it true that you were once offered the job of singer with Queen after Freddie Mercury died?’

MICHAEL: You know, my answer to him is I can’t answer it, because it’s so gratuitous and self-serving but I’ll leave it to your imagination.  You know, nobody can fill Freddie Mercury’s shoes.  Nobody.  Not a soul on this planet.  He was the most unique rock and roll singer, writer and performer and nobody can fill those shoes is my response.

JON: I didn’t know anything about that. I had never known about that story.

MICHAEL: Well, it’s in Wikipedia and various internet sites but I don’t answer the question because it just seems so self-serving. The point I’m making is that nobody can replace Freddie Mercury.  That would be like saying, hey why don’t you replace Edith Piaf. Hey why don’t you do Miles Davis?  It’s absurd. It’s like replacing Jesus.  Which is what we should all be doing of course.

JON: I know perfectly well what you mean by saying that.

MICHAEL: Yeah it’s like saying let’s be Buddha.

JON: However, I’m tempted not to print that for fear of  pissing off off the moral majority.

MICHAEL: Well my aim in life is to piss of the moral majority because the moral majority is an oxymoron – more moron than oxy. 

And that is about it for today. Life goes on, and tomorrow we will bring you the third and concluding part, followed by what I think is the most peculiar piece of Michael Des Barres memorabilia that I have ever seen, on sunday...

If you have not done so already, check out Michael's Gonzo Artist Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.