Saturday 13 October 2012

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Michael Des Barres (Part Three)...


So, we have come to the third and final part of my interview with Michael Des Barres the other day. I was quite surprised how it ended up as three parts, because it was only meant to be a quicky. However, when Michael and I get chatting, we talk for ages. And we talk about Bob Dylan, Damon Albarn, John Lennon and what killed Elvis, as well as all the stuff that we were supposed to be talking about.

If you have missed the rest of the interview check out  Part One and Part Two...

MICHAEL: Well my aim in life is to piss of the moral majority because the moral majority is an oxymoron – more moron than oxy.

JON: No, but you know what I mean.

MICHAEL: I do.  But I just wrote electronica song for this Irish girl called `Jesus was my boyfriend, our love will never end`.

You know, I write a lot of electronica, I love it. It’s not my personal taste but I love to write pop songs and I’ve been doing a lot of that, and will be doing a lot more. And because of the sound of Carnaby Street a lot of people at the Recording Academy of which I am now a member contacted me to produce them which I will do eventually when I have time. In all types of music, country music, I love.  You know I’ve written a lot of songs in the last few months.  I must have 30 songs waiting.

JON: Well I still really like Chequered Past.

MICHAEL: Well Jonesy called me the other day and said let’s do one gig. Let’s reunite Chequered Past and do one gig.

JON: Hell yeah

MICHAEL: And you know, you know we might. If he wants to do it, I’ll do it obviously and make time to do it. That is a band that is, you know, live?  Oh my God, Clem Burke and Steve Jones. Unbelievable power.

JON: There are a couple of videos on YouTube that are absolutely awesome.

MICHAEL: Yeah, it’s great.  I mean they’re much better than the record.  The record has a couple of cuts on it. Live... sometimes I felt like I was in The Who or some massive rock band

What are you listening to right now?

JON: The new Bob Dylan album.

MICHAEL: Me too. 

JON: That and... have you heard Damon Albarn’s album? You know, the guy from Blur.

MICHAEL: I have not.  Is it a solo record?

JON: He’s written an opera about... you know John Dee, Queen Elizabeth I’s court magician?

MICHAEL: Yes...of course...the great alchemist

JON: He’s written an opera  called Mr Dee. No, Dr. Dee. It’s absolutely brilliant. That and the Bob Dylan album are my two favourites at the moment

MICHAEL: I’ve been trying to get into Tempest. It’s Bob Dylan so it transcends all critique, no question but I swear to God, Jonathan, listening to it gives me nodules.

JON: Really?  I think it’s the most accessible thing he’s done in years

MICHAEL: Yeah, his voice is all crunchy to me...it hurts my throat when I hear him sing

JON: I tell you what, Michael, I think I’ll go as far as to say it’s my favourite of his albums since Blood on the Tracks.

MICHAEL: I think that you are not alone. I mean, people adore it  – it’s the only CD I’ve bought in years because it’s Saint Bob, you know. But I listen to it and sometimes I’m so swept up in the experience and age of his voice, and then other times as a singer, I think Oh my God, he’s ripping his throat to shreds but lyrically it’s ridiculously clever and hard core... Roll on John. I listened to in the car and I literally sat at wept – I pulled over, parked my car and listened to the fucking song and it’s just unbelievable – what is it, your light is still shining – you know just beautiful.



Two slices of the new Bob Dylan album; his tribute to John Lennon which made Michael cry and his post-apocalyptic rewrite of the old folk standard Barbara Allen which is my favourite..

JON: I tell you another album which is out this year which is so much better than I thought it was going to be is the new Public Image album. The first one since about 1990 I think.

MICHAEL: I’m going to go see them on Saturday.

JON: Oh you lucky man. Their guitarist, Lu Edmonds, who I’ve known of, I’ve met him a couple of times, he’s been around for years.  He was with The Damned – he became The Damned’s second guitarist in 1976 or something. He’s absolutely extraordinary. He plays this weird Turkish thing and he makes Hendrixy noises out of a Turkish mandolin called a saz – it’s absolutely wonderful, a stunning record.

MICHAEL: Yeah, Lydon is something else man. How a kid from the East End of London could come up with this brilliant, you know this perception of the world it’s so fantastic, brilliant.  I’m going to see them on Saturday at the ?? Steam ballroom, Manhattan, New York city.

JON: Well you’ve got to tell me all about it. The record’s wonderful and I’ve seen them on television doing a couple of songs from it.

MICHAEL: And you know what?  He did it all himself.  I am sure you know the story.  He’s financed it all himself. He’s got no label, he’s got no management, he’s doing it all himself.  Very similar to me, although
I’ve got Rob and you guys, you know, but in essence I have no manager. You know, I’ve managed this whole thing.  I just don’t trust anybody.  I don’t trust management because I do this all day, and all night. Rehearsing, writing, playing or selling, it’s all the same organism and I just think that I work harder for me than anybody else could

JON: Well yeah, it’s the 21st Century business model isn’t it? The music business as a business, is dead.

MICHAEL: But the music is very much alive.

JON: Exactly, music is alive, and it’s up to people like you and me celebrating the sort of liberation of having got rid of the music business.

MICHAEL: That’s it man and you know, it’s good. It’s so healthy – you might not sell as  many records, but how much money do you fucking want? I mean do you want to be autonomous in your life- do you want to own your own life or do you want to give 60% of it away?

JON: You’ll probably make just as much money because you’re not having an enormous fucking entourage

MICHAEL: There’s no question. And entourages are so...they’re a bit like cigarettes, you know they are so uncool.  What is this the Memphis mafia? That’s what killed him.....

JON: That is the perfect place to stop Michael. When your life calms down a bit, we’ll talk again and you can tell me all about how the weekend went and...

MICHAEL: I’ll look forward to it.

If you have not done so already, check out Michael's Gonzo Artist Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.