Sunday 9 June 2013

Ask YES – Friday 1st June 2013 – Chris Squire

Every week a member of YES takes your questions from Facebook and Twitter.
This week, it’s the turn of founder member and bassist extraordinaire, Chris Squire.
Dave Tudor
I’ve always thought you played the bass as a ‘lead’ instrument, setting you apart from many others. What inspired you to play in this way?When I was a teenager I think I used to be a big fan of The Who, and I would go and watch them as often as I could, and in many ways I liked listening to John Entwistle’s bass playing and I learned a lot from that, but I used to really enjoy watching Pete Townshend’s performance as a guitarist, so maybe somehow in an odd way the two melded together into my own character for wanting to be a musician with both styles, both attributes.
Luis Eduardo Galindo
Hi Chris, how did you master to sing over so complicated bass lines? What do you set in mind to do so? Any exercises you can recommend? Thanks!!Well, as with anything, it’s just practice and more practice that allows anyone to achieve doing more than one thing at a time. Of course the classic example is if you’re a drummer, and you’re simultaneously doing four different things with each of your limbs. The only exercise I can best recommend is to just decide what it is you want to achieve and then just keep on practicing it until you get it right.
CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FROM GONZO
Union (Standard DVD)
DVD - £9.99

Union (2CD)
2CD - £7.99

Rock Of The 70's
DVD - £12.99

The Lost Broadcasts
DVD - £7.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.