Sunday 11 August 2013

Graham Fellows: I know how to cut out noise from revellers


GRAHAM Fellows, creator of John Shuttleworth, Jilted John and Brian Appleton, recalls his last Fringe appearance as the hard done by rock musicologist.
IT was 2001 when I last performed as Brian Appleton in Edinburgh. I came armed with a reel to reel audio tape recorder and a razor blade.
Don’t be alarmed: I used the razor blade merely to cut up audio tape on stage and reassemble the words and even consonants recorded on the tape recorder in my show, Let’s Look at Sound. In this way I was able to edit an audience member’s innocent utterance of “God Save the Queen” into the more damning “Sod the Queen!”
Quite impressive – when it worked...
I also had a microphone and a digital multitracker, and with nowhere to store all this valuable gear I would take it in a taxi from my Canongate flat to the Pleasance and back again each evening.
My flat was noisy. Almost everywhere is during the Festival, but there is something about the narrowness of Canongate and enclosed nature of the buildings that meant every sound from the street below was amplified, making sleep before 3am virtually impossible. I can’t wear earplugs – they make me feel cut off from the world and I get paranoid.
Read on...

CURRENTLY AVAILABLE AT GONZO
The Shuttleworths 5
2CD - £11.99

Southern Softies
DVD - £12.99

Shuttleworths Series 1
DCD - £11.99

Open Mind
DCD - £11.99

Radio Shuttleworth 1
DCD - £11.99

Blue John
CD - £9.99

The Shuttleworths 3
2CD - £11.99

The Dolby Years
CD - £9.99

Shuttleworths 2
DCD - £11.99

4 Rather Tasty Tracks 
CDS - £3.99

It's Nice Up North 
DVD - £12.99

500 Bus Stops 
DVD - £11.99

The Shuttleworths 4
DCD - £11.99

The Yamaha Years
CD - £9.99

Radio Shuttleworth 2 
DCD - £11.99

The Shuttleworths Specials
CD - £9.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.