Thursday 30 April 2015

Veteran prog rock band Renaissance will perform in Tel Aviv.

‘People used to ask me what my mission was in life, and I would say that I didn’t really know,” said Annie Haslam, recalling her battle with and subsequent recovery from breast cancer in 1993. “Then, when I was better, I went, ‘Hang on a minute.

What’s precious here?’ It made me think about how vulnerable we are and what is really special in our lives,” said the 67-year-old vocalist with the veteran British progressive rock band Renaissance.

“And I realized what I was put here to do. I don’t want to sound conceited, but my voice is a healing voice. People have told me it’s gotten them through many bad times. I really thought about that, and it made me more determined to keep going,” she said.

Haslam, who possesses a five octave range, is still putting her voice to good use with the latest reincarnation of the much-loved cult band that in the 1970s used to be mentioned in the same breath as like-minded musical adventurers such as Yes, Genesis and King Crimson.

But that determination was put to a test in 2012 when longtime musical partner Michael Dunford died suddenly from a cerebral hemorrhage. He and Aslam had just finished recording a new album, Symphony of Light, featuring guest appearances by Jethro Tull’s Ian Anderson and King Crimson’s John Wetton.


CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FROM GONZO
Dawn Of Ananda . 
CD - £7.99

Still Life
CD - £7.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.