Saturday 18 January 2014

Sky Architect review

"Excavation Of The Mind" had packed me then "A Dying Man's Hymn" chilled me. So it is with apprehension and curiosity that I approached the third album by Dutch group. 

And it starts badly! Strange noises, coming from nowhere, analog sounds (well pseudo-analog) and mixed hacky approximately. In addition to the time counter of the song that says more than 18 minutes ... I was afraid to find myself disappointed, until the magic happens. This intro takes us, in fact, but seventies to very contemporary designs and continuity of unimagined wealth. He may be like me this album! 

SKY ARCHITECT offers go into space and explore wormholes (wormholes) in their company and that is what we do. We sail between their avowed influences many current (GENTLE GIANT FLOWER KINGS, BEARDFISH, PAIN OF SALVATION) and historical (PINK FLOYD, GENESIS, KING CRIMSON) as if we were propelled from one to another through black holes or vortex inter -dimensional. We pass without transition from psychedelic rock to classical progressive ("The Curious One") by transferring to parts more influenced metal ("Tides" for which a video is easily visible on the net), not hesitating to string mellotron and acoustic guitars. And mayonnaise takes! Difficult for me to admit that things like fairly linear, but yes, all these things at first incompatible First, overlap perfectly and give coherence to the whole album. I even feel pleasure to listen to the intro I generously booed above apprehending such premises to space-time travel. Tom's voice and keyboards Luchies Rik VAN HONK are not strangers to this interstellar transport. This gives me even want to try to give me "A Dying Man's Hymn" in the ears to see if I knew I was not wrong at the time, and then missed something. 

Pity it out so late in the year as this album could be in my top 5. Say, then, that he is already in a good position to attack 2014.



 CURRENTLY AVAILABLE AT GONZO
A Dying Man's Hymn
CD - £7.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.