Wednesday 8 January 2014

Michelle Zappa and the Croydon Philharmonic Choir

Croydon - The Croydon Philharmonic Choir celebrates its centenary this year; its Publicity Coordinator is a woman who shares one of the most famous names in contemporary music.
Recently I picked up a few flyers in Penge Library to add to the David Webb Virtual Archive & Fansite. One of them was a bookmark size leaflet advertising the Croydon Philharmonic Choir, which sounds grand, but not as grand as the contact name: Zappa. Naturally I thought at once of Frank Zappa, and I was not disappointed.
You will find a few references to the great man's music on SongFacts; there is of course an official website, and much more.
Although he was only 52 when he died over 20 years ago now, Frank Zappa left an enormous body of work. My personal favourite which I bought on vinyl (for those of you who remember vinyl) was the awesome triple album Joe's Garage. Here is what is arguably the finest track on it, the leisurely octave-based Watermelon In Easter Hay with Frank demonstrating his virtuosity on lead guitar.
Joel Thome collaborated extensively with Frank Zappa  arranging much of the eclectic composer/musici...
NXNE
Joel Thome collaborated extensively with Frank Zappa, arranging much of the eclectic composer/musician's unconventional work for both symphony and rock music production.
Alexander Baron: Thank your for taking time out to speak to us. Can I start by asking you what is your relationship with the legendary Frank Zappa?
Michelle Zappa: It's quite distant, I'm afraid, he's my second cousin once removed.
AB: Did you ever meet him?
MZ: Unfortunately not - he died when I was still only a kid, but he was roughly the same age as my father, and they used to play together when they were little.
AB: What do you know about him?
MZ: From a family point of view, not a lot. The Italian side of the family, to which Frank belonged, was vast and all staunchly Catholic. I know that Frank rebelled from that quite early on, and my immediate family lost touch with him, except for once when my Dad tried to contact him when he came to England in the early '90s.
From a music perspective, well when I was 18 a friend was shocked that I owned only one Frank Zappa CD - a greatest hits album - so he gave me Frank's entire back catalogue. Even now I'm not sure I've listened to every single track! So much of his music I find dreamlike - tracks can be long, highly musical, sound improvised and ebb and flow to completion. Some are more edgy and abrupt, and then there's the lyrics, which can at times be comical or nonsensical. Every winter I live by the mantra "don't eat the yellow snow".
AB: How long have you been in the UK?
MZ: Actually, I'm a born and bred South Londoner, and I've always lived in the UK.
AB: What is your own musical training, and have you been influenced by Frank at all?
MZ: My musical training is very limited - I learnt to play the piano as a kid, so I can read music, and I taught myself a few chords on the guitar in my teens. I've always loved singing though, and sang in my school choir and at church. Frank himself started off writing and playing classical music, which comes through in his work, and I think gives his songs their musicality. I went to see The Zappatistas a few years ago - a Zappa tribute act - and while I don't usually go in for tribute acts, I was surprised at how good they were. That's the thing about Frank's music - it's so well orchestrated that all you need is a group of highly talented musicians to create a really great sound. Although a completely different genre, that's exactly the same feeling I get with live choral or orchestral concerts, and why I love singing with the Croydon Philharmonic Choir.
AB: The Croydon Philharmonic Choir is a registered charity, but can you tell us something about it that is not on its website?
MZ: Well, this is a very special year for the choir as it's our 100th anniversary season this year. Alan Kirby founded the choir in December 1914, and was conductor until his death in 1959. It's exciting to be part of a local choir that's been entertaining Croydon for a century - through two world wars and all the changes that the borough has gone through in that time. To celebrate this milestone, we will be putting on a special performance of Handel's Messiah on December 6, 2014 this year, where past members will return to sing with the current choir and create a really special atmosphere.

Read on...


CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FROM GONZO
The Lost Broadcasts
DVD - £9.99

The Interview Sessions
CD - £9.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.