Monday 6 January 2014

Spotlight: Sky Architect – A Billion Years Of Solitude (2013)

Classic Rock Radio (Dot EU)
31 Dec 2013

Classic Rock Radio (Dot EU) – NEW Prog-Rock CD Review

Over five thousand miles from the city I call home, Houston (Texas USA), an album is born. I find the new CD in a stack of packages that have recently arrived at my home. Seeking guidance so I can remain focused, I seek advice on which music CD to give a listen to next. Being a reviewer for a cool Internet Classic Rock station, I'm sent products in the mail for my opinion. Not being a total expert on all music, I'll get items in which I won't recognize the musicians involved, but the packaging is cool enough to persuade me to open it. In this case, the cover art by artist Rik Van Honk drew me in. Out of a short list of a dozen or so, Sky Architect was elected. It appeared I had their brand new CD, A Billion Years Of Solitude, and it was now decided that I was to open it. So I did.

OK...an outer space concept album from a young prog-rock band out of The Netherlands, Rotterdam. On the back-side of the CD's cover-art (Sky Architect – A Billion Years Of Solitude), I see in a Star Wars type script the name of seven songs.  The CD in its entirety is just a little over an hour, clocking in at 61 minutes and 11 seconds. The first song, 'The Curious One', coming in at a typical prog-rock style of 18:06.  So for the next day, I welcome my audio introduction to Sky Architect – A Billion Years Of Solitude by playing just the opening composition, 'The Curious One'. A showcase of sound that by its end will remind you of past prog-bands gone by, yet at the same time blow you away that its achieved by musicians whose sound has not even come close to what possibilities lay ahead. Age-wise, my best guess is that I'm old enough to be their father. That being the case, I'm reminded of a band called Yes and how their music took off with their third release, The Yes Album (1971), accomplished with all band members being under the age of twenty-five. Like I was with Yes back in the day, I was curious to their previous releases. Sky Architect – A Billion Years Of Solitude is again like Yes' The Yes Album in that it motivated me to play catch up on the bands catalog. Something I will do this up and coming year with Sky Architect.

Back to the opener, the 18 minute opus called 'The Curious One'. An audio trip starting with drums and then going total ape shit, and in the process redefining what a prog-rock masterpiece is. A perfect mix of words and music, as is the whole album. Cool poetry that comes to life with the main vocals of Tom Luchies. With Sky Architect's sound, a match made in heaven. It's a perfect prog-rock song, song structure where tempos and melodies change naturally and flow in perfect harmony. A haunting sound from the terrific keyboard playing of Rik Van Honk at around the twelve minute mark that signals the last segment of this brilliant piece of musical art. All involved, in and behind the band, should be flattered to be a part of what could be the best prog-rock song I've heard in ages. And GOOD NEWS...the rest of the album is consistent with the talent that was presented on JUST the first track.

Track two entitled 'Wormholes (The Inevitable Collapse Of The Large Hadron Collider)' is an excellent showcase for the vocals of Mr. Luchies with cool sounding classic Spock's Beard moments throw in.
Song number three, 'Tides', also has a video worth seeking. Cool lyrics accompany this melodic rock song that if I was a DJ, I'd play on the radio. A little over 3 minutes. Solid songwriting. Presented well. There are times on Sky Architect – A Billion Years Of Solitude, that can compare with the best metal prog-rock on the planet. Every once in a while, it's cool a band can tone down the high energy and in the process make the music still enjoyable.

The forth track called 'Elegy Of A Solitary Giant' is a ten minute example of what a well written and performed prog-rock song should sound like. Just enough words contain beautiful and seriously rocking moments. Reminds me a bit of a Roger Waters composition.

'Jim's Ride To Hell' comes next. An almost two and a half minute rocker that can persuade the listener to crank it up, and letting the vibes take over, let it all hang out.

Song number six on the CD is called, 'Revolutions'. First off, I love the way it kicks in at the end of the previous track, 'Jim's Ride To Hell'. As found throughout the album, terrific instrumental passages abound. I love the keys at around the 2 minute mark. The vocals glide in and another perfect melodic segment grows till the next note is played.

The closing song, 'Traveller's Last Candle', is so good that it will motivate you to replay the whole disc again. A strong vocal performance, perfect words, and the music totally takes off. A trip to the next stratosphere propelled by metal-prog. Works for me.

Sky Architect: All members are well-versed musicians, at least from what I can hear. Outstanding song structure. Above average musician skills. The perfect rhythm section is Guus Van Mierlo (bass) and Christiaan Bruin (drums). Seasoned guitar playing from Wabe Wieringa and main vocalist Tom Luchies. Rhythms with MUNCHIES. Easy for the potheads to remember. Sky Architect, at least on this album, released the type of music those into cannabis so dig. Actually anyone interested in hearing more in a song than three chords and a repetitious beat should enjoy their newest: A Billion Years Of Solitude.

Rating: This music's been sticking in my head. Seriously, I can't find a damn thing wrong with it. Am grateful I devoted the time checking out Sky Architect's third studio album, A Billion Years Of Solitude. This band comes off as the real deal. I can't recommend it more: 5 stars (one star meaning it sucks frozen turds to five stars meaning it's cool to spend your hard earned money on).

Gary Brown
American Correspondent for Classic Rock Radio (Dot EU)

CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FROM GONZO
A Dying Man's Hymn
CD - £7.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.