Monday 3 September 2012

ANOTHER ARTIST TAKES UP MY POETIC GAUNTLET (Phoaar, look at the pentameters on that)

As regular readers will be aware, every day I send out a digest of what is on the Gonzo Daily to various readers on Usenet and Facebook. For some reason known only to me (and I have forgotten), I do Sunday's notifications in rhyme. Over the months I have dropped huge hints that I would be highly amused if one of the artists about whom I write would reply to me in verse. I had hoped that Rick Wakeman would decide to set some of them to music and release a double concept album entitled 'The Rhymes and Doggerel of a fat bloke sitting in a converted potato shed nine miles from Bideford', but alas it was not to be.

Until this morning, the only person ever to reply to my appalling poetry has been the ever lovely Liz Lenten of Auburn. Check out a sample of her exquisite pentameters here. I have just realised that this sentence is open to misinterpretation - if you don't know what pentameters are, for example. However, today all that has changed.

Yesterday, I wrote:

THOM THE WORLD POET: The Daily Poem

'The World Poet' Thom Woodruff
writes all sorts of groovy stuff
I'm almost embarrassed that sometimes
he will read Jon Downes' awful rhymes

Today I received this from Thom:

REALLY liked your universal verse
Mine has been MUCH worse
Forced endings are like slavery-
chains of meaning broken indefinitely
SET POETRY FREE!
Cheers to young Jonathan from me!

What a nice man he is!!!!!

PS. Getting back to the subject of Auburn, we have some exclusive pictures of our Liz which shall be posted later this week...

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.