Saturday 10 November 2012

DESPERATELY SEEKING...The Holy Grail of Zimmerfreaks

The other night I was pootling about on the internet when I discovered that for a few months at the beginning of this year the legendary Renaldo and Clara – all four hours of it – had been available on YouTube.  Before the Dylan police had it removed.  I wish I had known.  Although I am a fine upstanding citizen and cannot, and will not condone bootlegging (Ha!) I would sell my left foot for a copy of it. The only person whom I have ever met who apparently owned a copy is my mate Kenn Thomas, editor of the renowned (and very peculiar) conspiracy theory journal Steamshovel Press.  I remember having a long convoluted discussion with him in a hotel room in Las Vegas about it nearly ten years ago, but I have absolutely no memory of what we said. There were quite a lot of suspiciously long cigarettes circulating that evening, but I am sure that had nothing to do with it.

But I digress.

After reading that this legendary Bob Dylan movie, formed largely during the first leg of 1975’s Rolling Thunder Review, and featuring Dylan, his then wife, his ex-girlfriend, and various other luminaries, and apparently totally unwatchable. However, one man’s unwatchable is another man’s (usually mine) intellectual nirvana, and I would dearly love to see it.  So, after having read that it had been available for a few tantalising weeks, I started to poke about some of the dodgier places on the seamy white underbelly of the internet looking to see if I could purchase a copy, which is something I haven’t done for an awful long time.

And could I?

Could I heck!  I found countless Bob Dylan bootlegs, both audio and video, but narry a sign of the elusive R&C.  But I did find several websites with differing dates claiming that the elusive film was just about to receive an official release.  These claims were made in 1998, 2001, 2003, 2008, and again this year.  As far as I can tell, all of these claims are equally spurious.

I used to know a dude called Colin.  I won’t reveal his real name.  In fact I have written of him before, in my fairly scurrilous autobiography Monster Hunter (2004).  Then I gave him a completely spurious surname which I can’t remember, and can’t be bothered to look up.  However, Colin was a very dodgy rock and pop memorabilia dealer who lived in a very squalid council flat in Wandsworth, which was filled with demo tapes, and memorabilia which looked to me as if they were probably worth millions. He had stolen them all from skips outside recording studios, and played me some of the excerpts.  Through him I heard the early versions of Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon which I believe have now been officially released on the multi CD/DVD immersion edition of the album.  I also heard amazing rarities from many other artists whom I have admired for years.  But the trouble with Colin is that he was a complete fantasist who was obsessed with the occult.

Back in 1969 apparently Led Zeppelin, The Jeff Beck Group and Jethro Tull were all together in some small American town and members of the first two bands joined Jethro Tull on stage for what became known as the Nine Man Jam.  I had read about this and how a version of Jailhouse Rock had been played by a line-up including Rod Stewart on vocals, and Jimmy Page on guitar. I dearly wanted to hear this and mentioned it to Colin.  His yes lit up and he went into the most extraordinary farrago of nonsense about how this had been some occult ritual that the participants had carefully planned in order to wreak arcane consequences on the world of man.  ‘Bollocks,’ said I.  ‘It was a bunch of stoned rockers playing an Elvis Presley song’.  He looked daggers at me and started to describe a session that he had been at a few days earlier where Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac and Syd Barrett had been recorded together a new concept album based upon the Rituals of Abra-Melin the Mage.  I made my excuses and left, and never saw the mad bastard again.

I remembered Colin for the first time in years the other night. The idea of fantasising that this legendary four-hour film by Bob Dylan, which everyone who has seen it says is complete tosh, is still somehow going to see the light of the day has his fingerprints all over it.  Does an acceptable print of it still exist?  Will it ever be released officially?  Probably not, to both questions. However, it is this arcane legendary aspect to pop music that is one of the things that keeps me going.  For pop music is magickal in the truest sense of the word; music can and does totally alter the headspace of those who listen to it. It can be, and sometimes actually is, a truly alchemical process, and I suppose that every other branch of the Great Mysteries legends have built up around it. And as a cryptozoologist, I can assure you that, whilst legends often have a germ of truth behind them, and occasionally are even unequivocally true, other times they are complete nonsense dreamt up by funny little men in council flats in Wandsworth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.