Tuesday 6 November 2012

EXCLUSIVE: Paul May interview


I have been having problems with skype over the last few days, which means that several interviews that I have supposed to have been doing didn't get done. However, I finally caught up with the mightily talented Paul May of the Atkins/May project (together with original Judas Priest singer Al Atkins)...

JON: Start at the beginning.

PAUL: Me and Al have been working together for the past 25 years in one guise or another.  We’ve recorded possibly….. I’ve played on all Al’s solo albums – there was about five solo albums he did before and we got together… I was actually playing at a local gig and he came to the gig and he asked me to come and guest on his album and basically from there I’ve played on his albums since.  What kind of happened is he went off doing another project called The Holy Rage and I went into the Christian side of things, doing metal and gospel and different kinds of stuff and then a few years later we just kind of hooked up again and I just wrote some material and put a new album together and asked Al to come and sing on it and he said yeah, and most of the stuff – he  was kind of knocked out by it – and so I decided to write songs that were kind of specifically for his voice, you know, his range and he’s turned out some fabulous vocals. And we are good friends – we’ve been around for quite a while, you know, and so we’ve got a bit of history you know.

JON: Christianity and heavy rock music are things some people might think are strange bedfellows.

PAUL: <laughs>  I don’t think so.  I think if music is good enough people will listen to it anyway. I mean as far as Christianity goes I haven’t always been a Christian, but I have generally always been a musician – I’ve recorded maybe 15 or more albums now and I’ve sort of spanned everything from metal, country to classical, you know, all different stuff and I wasn’t a Christian then and I just see what I am doing now as a Christian, as an extension doing kind of – I suppose you know – Christian world view kind of stuff.  It’s more erm… I think it is very powerful.  You can write about all sorts of subjects, from that point of view without imposing, as long as it’s good stuff. So I think it’s just an extension of who I am, because I do all the writing and that kind of stuff, but I write about honest subjects. The last album was pretty much about betrayal and that kind of thing and this album is more along the lines of… it covers all sorts of things compared to the last one, but I really think Al’s done a sterling job on it and I am really quite pleased with some of the stuff I’ve done myself this time so it’s quite a nice thing to do.

JON: By the way, I am a Christian as well – I just suddenly realised as I said that that I could be coming from a totally different viewpoint, but I’m not

PAUL: What kind of church do you go to? Do you go to church?

JON: On and off, fairly ordinary Church of England.

PAUL: What I found was that I … I’ll talk to you as a Christian. I was working on this secular stuff doing quite a lot of work with a lot of people and when I became a Christian it was a big thing like – obviously people think you are a bit of a religious nut, and this and this and this, and I thought ‘no’ and I stuck to my guns and I write from an honest point of view.  On the new album I am writing  Valley of Shadows which is basically that dark night of the soul, you know when you are really going through the mill and things are rough and tough and really and and you are crying out to go and say ‘ where are you?’ you know what I mean? ‘Help me through this’ you know and it’s a very honest and gritty song. And then there are tracks on the album like Bitter Waters which is a very gritty kind of song about bitterness, it could be about anything, relationship, politics….what I try to do is write honestly as a Christian and not try to come over like a religious nut.  I am kind of writing in a way that’s honest from me being a Christian.

A lot of people ask me like, ‘How can you play heavy metal and be a Christian?’.  Well I think heavy metal lends itself to some of the – and rock music lends itself to being, you know some great subjects, you play different subjects from you know The Bible, about conflict I think it really lends itself.

JON: Well it’s in one of the psalms isn’t it….make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Only make it joyful and much louder noise.

PAUL: That’s right. Thou shalt praise Him with Marshall amps – Thou shalt praise Him with a Sonar drum kit.

Well thing is, the only way I can look upon it is like no matter….if what I am saying, or if what I am portraying is a truthful point of view it’ll still be the truth whoever says it, you know what I’m saying?  Like Jesus says, ‘whoever is for us, isn’t against us’, you know. And I think using that kind of thing like….. over the last 25 years or so I have kind of learnt with Al, what he’s good at and what he isn’t good at, basically Al feels like he’s got to try to push himself to be closer to like Rob Halford but he doesn’t need to be ‘cos he’s a closer voice to Coverdale. He’s got a much lower range, a much grittier thing, you know, but the thing I’ve found over the past few years is his voice is getting harder and stronger with age which is really unusual, but knowing that it has allowed me to push him in other areas and directing the vocals where ….he’s come up with some cracking vocals on this album, I mean really I’ve been absolutely knocked out. By doing it I’ve got no complaints – I couldn’t sing it that good – I couldn’t sing it that well. I think he’s done a great job to be honest with you.  

Check them out at Gonzo

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.