Monday 12 November 2012

EXCLUSIVE: Peter McAdam interview


Peter McAdam is - to my mind - one of the funniest people around. His creation The Nine Henrys which is now a book (designed by yours truly) on Gonzo Multimedia is something which really should be on your Christmas present list. A couple of days ago I caught up with him for a chat...

JON: So when is Henrys the movie coming out?  I think there should be a full-length Hollywood feature film about Henrys

PETER: <laugh>  Well I’ve done this job videoing this graffiti and I got £500 for that and I am going to get a Wacom tablet which means I can draw Henrys as though I was drawing on a piece of paper in freestyle. Because my problem was drawing them, and then I had to scan them in, and my scanner’s broke so basically I just had to photograph them and it was just a long process so I think this way I can probably learn myself animation by just doing it cell by cell like straight on to the screen, you know.

JON: I enjoyed Henrys, I think they were very funny indeed.  I like the stuff you were doing last week when they went back in time

PETER: Yeah, well I’ll do more Jon.  I’ll get on that and we’ll just have it as a kind of a little quirky weekly thing as well. Just keeping it going, like you said, you know.

JON: I like the way that you’ve got, on your Facebook group – Henrys have got quite a big following haven’t they? 

PETER: Yeah, and some of them having been photographing the books as well which is good you know

JON: I think it is great fun – I think they are going to take off. They are just not taking off as quickly as I would have liked.

PETER: Yeah, well I tell you what, leading up to Christmas I’ve got things planned and I’m going to get very intense on it – you know like really use some off the wall stuff and have a caption competition as well. Maybe give away a free book or something.

JON: Now, how did Henrys come about in the first place?

PETER: I’ve kept a dream diary since I was about 14, and one day, I think it was around my 20s, there was this name called The Nine Henrys and it just flashed into my head before I woke up, you know like in that hypnogogic area between dreaming and sleep and you have to get up, the alarm has gone and I am thinking … The Nine Henrys, what’s that?  I think the cloned sheep was on the TV I think around about that time and I was thinking wouldn’t it be funny if  there was like a cloned cartoon character, you know all of the same.  And you couldn’t differentiate them.  Because my drawing skills are about as … if I did nine people I couldn’t really handle that, but because they are all the same I guess I thought that was a nice. …..

JON: I like that.  So what happened then, talk me through it.. because they live in such a wonderfully surreal world

PETER: I deliberately kept it sort of limbless, you know just like a line drawing, basically it’s just a big head and legs and that’s it, you know.  And somebody said it looks like a crisp with legs.  I suppose I just kept it simple – big head, thin legs and thin arms and that’s it you know.  It’s easy for me to draw, it’s basic limitations really, you know  artists can work to these limitations and having a kind of line drawn world just makes you think more. You know, if it was a 3D world  then you can add things and if it’s colour you can do, you know, but I thought very minimalist just get back to really kind of basics – almost like doodles.  And some of them are so I’ve kind of like kept the original spurt as it was.  The original drawing that I did probably on the back of a bus ticket and that keeps it a nice….you know rather than be doctoring it on Photoshop or later on re-drawing it, so it keeps its spontaneity, you know.

JON: I agree totally, and it’s very clever as well.  They are not just silly – they live in a cerebral stupid world, if you know what I mean.

PETER: Yeah, yeah, it’s probably me <laughs>  It is me, what am I saying?

JON: What I like about it, is that a lot of it seems to be about as surreal as the world I live in.

PETER: Yes well, we are kindred spirits.  I’ve always seen him as the metaphysical Mr. Bean you know.

JON: Haha I like that

PETER: You know when you have to think of something to get a grip on the concept – it’s quite large and big. Sometimes I like to think of a tag line, you know, that’s what they do with movies don’t they?  They say Sixth Sense meets like erm… I don’t know, like Unforgiven or something so straight away you’ve this like mash up in your head of what to expect sort of thing.  That’s his tag line if it was a movie you know. Maybe you’re right, thanks for pushing that, because maybe I am a person that gets an idea then kind of sways around and another idea comes up and I get seduced by that.  Then I’ve just got this hotel lobby full of ideas and they’re all waiting for me, and that’s like I see the imagination.  And you know the Nine Henrys keep coming to the fore and saying what you going to do with us?  They can argue with me in my head.  And they are saying what you going to do? And Jonathan is on the telephone or email saying you going to animate these or what?  And you’re perfectly right you know.

JON: Well I am going to carry on bullying you until you do

PETER: Yes <laughs>

JON: Because I think The Nine Henrys, the movie has got to be made, even if I am the only person who watches it, I don’t care, I’ve got to see it. Just because I want to see what happens to them

PETER: You know, I’m pretty good  at scriptwriting, and stuff and I’ve never thought of making a movie, but I will put my mind to it, right, definitely

JON: So tell me about the project for the Ipad – what is it?

PETER: It’s just been buzzing around my head for years called The Henry Zone. I can imagine that you download it, and you open it and suddenly you’ve got like four menus, you’ve got the book, in flash form just click and go to next page, you’ve got sketch shop, do some small animations, just some of the static cartoons but animated and live.  And the other one’s called Hole in Nine.  If you imagine like nine golf balls and the Henrys slowly emerging from each ball, and on the Ipad you just the head and they go back down. And you can turn up how fast you want to do this so you’ve just got to keep all Henrys down in the hall, you know.  Just a little game, you know

JON: Sounds fun

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.