Wednesday 2 May 2012

EXCLUSIVE: Anthony Phillips interview (Part Two)

As I said yesterday, one of the most eagerly awaited releases from Gonzo this spring is a double CD from Anthony Phillips and Andrew Skeet. The album - which is called Seventh Heaven - contains some of the lushest and most beautiful music that I have heard for a long time.

On Monday I interviewed Anthony about the new album. The first part of the interview went up yesterday. We continue talking about the opera singer whose extraordinary voice is showcased on the album...

Jon: Now Lucy Crowe – what a voice

Anthony: Yes, we got her originally through a fixer friend called Dominic Kelly, and she is with a very big agency but we got her for considerably less than we would have done through the big agency. She’s a lovely lady and she’s also very approachable – she’s not a kind of diva, she’s a brilliant opera singer, but she likes singing other stuff as well so she’s quite an all-rounder.

She literally just came in and just did the track for us. It’s about the only time the next neighbours have said to me.... 'oh I really liked what you were doing'. We we actually recorded her in a downstairs non-soundproofed room to try and get a bit of ambience, and so they could hear her, but they couldn’t hear the music because it was obviously on headphones, and they were saying, gosh that singer was very good.

It’s about the only compliment I’ve ever had from them actually.... but she was absolutely delightful. But I haven’t seen her since, because almost immediately afterwards she went off to have a baby and I think it is probably now...the baby was born around Christmas... so I would think she would be starting to perform again soon. Yes, a lovely, lovely voice and obviously been very successful and we were very, very lucky to get her. We hope to do some more stuff with her clearly.

Jon: The thing that I thought was the most striking about the whole album. You were talking earlier about how the computer age has changed everything for everybody, and everybody I speak to - without any exception - for the Gonzo blog says that. Its changed for writers too: I’m writing things that instead of going through the three month editorial process, are now up being read three or four hours after I’ve written them, which I think is exciting. I like being able to do that.

But working with a real orchestra and going all the way to Prague – it’s an oddly old-fashioned, but rather satisfying way of doing it. That’s really rather nice.

Anthony: It is in a way, although I don’t think the analogy quite holds up, I know what you saying about the whole process. Because obviously all the major, major scores for films are still recorded in a studio with real players. Now I know where we are heading here, with samples are getting more and more sophisticated and soon you possibly won’t not need players etc.. This has been said, but it’s going to take many, many more years before you are going to be able to actually imitate the multitudinous nuances of all the different instruments and the inter-play between them, to replace that, so I think whilst a lot of studios have lost ground for the intermediate stuff - as you rightly say, the computer stuff, a lot of the rock music and stuff.

I think for classical music, and for orchestral scores, I think the old studio – the conventional studio – with bits of orchestra is very much still here to stay for a while.

Jon: Which is a good thing, I think

Anthony: Which is a great thing, and also keeps people in work as well. There is just something about hearing players; it’s that humanity, it’s that inter-relation between all those people that is so exciting. You won’t get I mean if you work at home and just build it up layer by layer.

Jon: No that is something that Pro-tools just doesn’t give you.

Anthony: Well that’s quite right. Yes, I’m learning how to edit that at the moment, having a battle with it, but I’m getting there.

Jon: Well the bits I have heard of the new album, I think are absolutely wonderful

Anthony: Thank you very much indeed

Jon: And I’m very much looking forward to Anne-Marie at Gonzo getting the copies in, in a couple of weeks time of the complete thing so I can blag one of her then I would like at some point to go through some of the tracks in more detail

Anthony: Please do. The good news is that it has already been picked up and scheduled on Classic FM, which we are very lucky about. Diane Hinds who Rob found me. She badgered them and they are going to profile it as the Featured CD on Drive with John Brunning w/c 7th May. This means the album will get a daily play at around 6.15pm, every day that week. It will also be played on several other shows across the station in the coming weeks.

We chatted for a few more minutes about this and that, and particularly about my late father who loved Classic FM, and then we said our farewells and put the 'phones down. What a nice chap he is. I am very much looking forward to our next chat..

Check out the
Gonzo page for his new album

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.