Saturday 8 September 2012

LINK: Steve Hillage interview

I really don't know why it has taken so long for us to post anything about Steve Hillage. He is not only one of the pioneering spacerock guitarists, but his music is never far away from my hi-fi. On top of that, in one of my other incarnations (as editor of UFO Matrix magazine I often reference songs of his (like 1977's 'Light in the Sky', featuring immensely sexy vocals by long time partner Miquette Giraudy). So why have I left it until now to add him to the Gonzo Daily thingy? God alone knows...

1. By being a part of that movement, what do you remember from the famous Canterbury music scene?

It was an exciting and very creative time. We had the shared feeling of being part of a special and original English musical movement that also expressed our sense of humour and eccentricities.

2. Did you finish your studies at the University of Kent in Canterbury?

No I just did part 1 of my course. I left after 15 months.

3. In early 1971 you formed Khan. What were reasons that the band did not last so long?

I was young and under a lot of pressure – and I felt I needed to play with other people before continuing as a solo artist. So I put Khan on hold while working on a second album and started playing with Kevin Ayers. My solo album Fish Rising that came out in 1975 was partly based around material I was developing for the second Khan album.

Read on...

Check out Steve's Gonzo Artist Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.